Mental Health Services for Men

We have compiled some information about NHS and non statutory mental health and well-being services that might be possible sources of support. You can find out more by following the links below.

NHSThird Sector
General practitioners

General practitioners are NHS first line services for recognition and identification of mental health problems. If you think that you may be experiencing a mental health difficulties you could visit your GP in the first instance. They should be able to offer your advice and support and direct you onto the appropriate service in your local area.

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT)

The Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) service was set up offer quick and easy access to evidence based psychological therapies for common mental health problems within primary care settings. Common mental health problems can be treated effectively with psychological therapy and evidence based self help material. Some IAPT service offer a self referral option whilst others require a referral from your GP.

Secondary care mental health services

Secondary care mental health services offer support for more complex psychological difficulties. These could be more complex and severe forms of common mental health problems such as depression and anxiety, co-morbid difficulties or enduring mental health problems such as psychosis and personality difficulties. There are many effective interventions for people with complex and severe mental health problems.

NHS Crisis and emergency mental health services

NHS Crisis and emergency mental health services are available across the UK. If you feel you need support in a mental health emergency you can attend your local A+E department where you can be assessed and linked in with crisis and emergency mental health services.
Inpatient admissions occur in only a minority of presentations with most people being suitable for crisis interventions in their homes.
For many people this may be their only contact with mental health services whilst for others ongoing support may be available.
Crises do pass and it is a very important time to seek help from friends, family, professionals or from anywhere that might help to keep you safe.
If you think there is any immediate danger you can call 999.

NHS 111

NHS 111 is a new service that’s being introduced to make it easier for you to access local NHS healthcare services. You can call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency. NHS 111 is a fast and easy way to get help and is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it’s not a life-threatening situation.

Rethink Mental Illness

Rethink provide accredited advice and information to everyone affected by mental health problems. They can give people information on everything from treatment and care to benefits and employment rights. Rethink provide over 200 mental health services and 150 support groups across England. They also campaign nationally for policy change, and locally for the support people need.


Mind provide advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. We campaign to improve services, raise awareness and promote understanding. Mind have a wide network community organisations open to people experiencing mental health problems. They offer a helpline for help help and support as well as training and consultancy.


The Samaritans are available 24 hours a day to provide confidential emotional support for people who are experiencing feelings of distress, despair or suicidal thoughts. They can be contacted by telephone, email, and by letter, or you can visit them in person. Click here for more information.

The campaign against living miserably (CALM) 

The campaign against living miserably (CALM) exists to prevent male suicide in the UKTheir helpline offers confidential, anonymous and free support, information and signposting to men anywhere in the UK. Calls are taken by paid, trained staff who work exclusively on the CALM helpline