Male Suicide Rates
Suicide Rate UK and Ireland
Every year the Samaritans [https://www.samaritans.org] create a Suicide Statistics Report [https://www.samaritans.org/about-us/our-research/facts-and-figures-about-suicide] with information from all of the national statistical agencies.
- There were 6,639 suicides in the UK and Republic of Ireland in 2015, of which 6,188 suicides were reported in the UK and 451 in the Republic of Ireland.
- Men aged 40–44 had the highest suicide rate in the UK, whereas in Ireland it was men aged 25–34 but the rates for men aged 45–54 was almost identical.
- Compared to female suicide rates, male rates remain 3 times higher across the UK and 5 times higher in the Republic of Ireland.
Male Suicide Rate USA <H2>
According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention: [http://www.statcan.gc.ca/]
- Men die by suicide 3.57 times more often than women
- On average, there are 123 suicides per day
- White males accounted for 7 of 10 suicides in 2016
- Firearms account for 51% of all suicides
- The rate of suicide is highest in middle age — white men in particular
Male Suicide Rate Canada <H2>
Statistics Canada’s [http://www.statcan.gc.ca/ ] website shows that in 2009:
- There were 3,890 suicides in Canada, a rate of 11.5 per 100,000 people
- The suicide rate for males was three times higher than the rate for females (17.9 versus 5.3 per 100,000)
- Although suicide deaths affect almost all age groups, those aged 40 to 59 had the highest rates
- Married people had a lower suicide rate than those who were single, divorced or widowed
Male Suicide Rate Australia <H2>
Mindframe National Media Initiative [http://www.mindframe-media.info/for-media/reporting-suicide/facts-and-stats] reports that:
- Over a five-year period from 2012 to 2016, the number of suicide deaths per year was 2,795 on average.
- In 2016 there were a total of 2,866 deaths by suicide (age-specific suicide rate 11.8 per 100,000), 2,151 males (17.9 per 100,000) and 715 females (5.9 per 100,000).
- Suicide deaths numbers have been approximately 3 times higher in males than females. In 2016, 75.1% of people who died by suicide were male.